Monday, April 4, 2011

DIY TRY: snap! CRACKLE! pop!

Yesterday after selling some old (and never worn) clothes at Beacon's Closet, I passed a nail salon that was advertising OPI's crackle nail polish offering a demo and application. I haven't been to the nail salon in over three years and went inside to purchase the polish -- I've been scratching for it since its resurrection by Serena Williams and Katy Perry.





After I asked for the polish, the manicurist showed me the OPI bottle, which is $15 and naive ol' me, I was shocked at the price, I thought it would be the same as all the other OPI bottles. Seeing the discomfort on my face, she showed me another polish that was off-brand and $10. I went for the $10 bottle (a sista's broke!) and walked outside hoping it would work.

For some reason, while I was contemplating buying OPI or the off-brand, I felt like I was in Chinatown, going down a skinny alley to buy a fake Louis Vuitton, especially when the manicurist said, "It's the same thing, just different name." So, I took the risk and swiped it.

I tried it on a bare nail after I stepped outside and when it didn't work I was thought "Oh-no, I got got!" After  I calmed down, I realized it was obviously, (aha!) real science at work: something in regular nail polish makes the crackle nail polish repel and well, crackle. The finished product's below. Why does it look like I'm throwing up the Lady Gaga monster paw?

No comments:

Post a Comment